Problem installing SQL Server 2008 on Windows 2008
This has been an interesting little saga which killed off a few days of life searching all around the Internet – and from what I have seen it has caused a number of people some problems as well.
Before I get into the technical details I'll give you a little bit of the pre-history which has led to me installing SQL Server 2008:
My company has been using MS SQL Server for a number of years now and has been stuck on SQL 2000 for a little while (which those of you whom are familiar with SQL will now has been out of main stream support for a little while now) – this of course has meant that we have around 150 of our core databases without any form of support besides me (and I do not pertain to be a "SQL Guru" in any sense of the word – I kinda mess around with it as a hobby more than anything, mind you the irony of that it I have built some huge SQL installations over the years – one of which still supports over 12,000 concurrent connections).
So around 6 months ago I wrote and report which contained a subsequent business case to replace not only the version of SQL that we have been using, but also to replace the hardware (as you can imagine if we have been running with SQL 2000 for a number of years on the same Hardware then the servers are also up for replacement).
After some debate with the powers that be (involving me using crayons, little teddy bears, banging fist on the table etc) it was agreed to make the required purchases for the hardware (we have an MS Enterprise Agreement where I work therefore the platform upgrade was covered by Software Assurance).
Now the day other my hardware arrived so after mt usual inspection of the kit it was time to get build it to the design specification – loose details of which were;
- Windows 2008 x64 Enterprise Edition SP1
- SQL Server 2008
Now the Windows install went well (as you would expect), so I did the usual bits and bobs post installation (registration, disk partitioning, Windows updates, join the domain et al) – then came to the installation of the SQL Server 2008 pre-requisites which are as follows:
- Windows Powershell
.NET 3.5 Service Pack 1
Now as you would expect Powershell is a no brainer on Windows 2008 – drop to a command prompt and type serverManagerCMD -i powershell and you are away – I thought that the same could and would be said for .NET 3.5 SP1.
I downloaded the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&displaylang=en and began the installation.
After around 5 minutes of watching the progress bar the installation error-ed and crashed out – reviewing the installation log I found the following error:
[12/20/08,17:01:48] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package':  Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603 [12/20/08,17:01:49] WapUI:  DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (x64) 'package' is not installed.
I also had a quick look in the Windows Event log revealed the following error:
Event 11406, MsiInstaller Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Sp1 -- Error 1406. Could not write value InstalledBy to key \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1\KB953595. System Error. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
I had a look in the regsitry assuming that the key was under HKLM – but I could not find the value – odd.
This was perplexing so I jumped onto Google – thinking that this had to be a common error – but alas I could not find a thing that matched my personal situation – there were a lot of articles which suggested that this problem was to do with the incorrect registration of the 3.5 Framework – but I checked this and found that it was installed correctly.
After a lot of messing around with a number of potential solutions which I will not bore you with, I had a moment of inspiration. I was logged onto the server using a domain admin account – I surmised that perhaps this was the problem – so I logged onto the server as the local administrator account and tried to install .NET 3.5 SP – it worked like a charm.
I then went onto install SQL Server 2008 as the local admin – which also worked well, I can only assume that there is a difference in permissions somewhere in Windows 2008 between local accounts and domain admin accounts in Windows 2008. So if you find yourself in the same scenario – try installing with the local admin account and see if that helps