Today I had a day off work so I decided to have another look at the EXDSD – in particular the “missing” features as described in the release post (which you can read here).

What’s missing?

At the moment the EXDSD does not support monitoring of any aspect of the DAG network. This will be released in version 1.01 of the EXDSD.

So with a full day of unbridled nothingness in front of me – out came my copy of Visual Studio and I coded in the missing overview of the DAG networks.

DSD_DAGNetworkandFSW

I also changed the location of the FSW data to below the DAG network location. You can download the new version of the EXDSD from the location below I have also updated the links from the original post. There is also an updated version of the Installation and Users Guide.

The upgrade process should be a simple “over the top” install – you may notice some errors right at the end of the process when the RCCT (post installation configuration tool) runs, these can be ignored.

Download

cntMstr006 [ EXDSD – Version 1.01 – 350KB ]

adobe [ EXDSD – Installation and Users Guide – 800KB ]

Social

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

robtejero July 9, 2013 at 9:47 am

Very good tool. Is compatible with Exchange 2010?
Thanks.

shawn July 10, 2013 at 3:41 pm

No only supported on Windows2012 and Exchange2013

Bas van den Dikkenberg July 14, 2013 at 3:59 pm

This great tool, i wise it was extend. To include status of all exchange server not only DAG memberts.
And would be great if it was accessebol from my workstaion using the webbrowser.

Andy Grogan July 20, 2013 at 11:07 am

Bas, the tool is primarily designed for Exchange 2013 DAG status – but I might, when I have time expand it out a little bit, or make it modular – not sure yet. In terms of being accessible from remote workstations – it should be already. From the workstation type in the https://serverName/exdst – that should work for you.

Bas van den Dikkenberg July 14, 2013 at 4:16 pm

IF you need some to test im willing to do !

Andy Grogan July 20, 2013 at 11:08 am

Thanks Bas. I am working on version 1.02 so I will add you to the testers list. Cheers
A

JC July 28, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Hi, the installer completes and when the powershell step fires I see an error. The account is created and added to org admins but the iis app pool isnt created. This is 2013 cu2. Any way I can rerun that step and see where the error is?

Thanks

Andy Grogan August 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Hiya John, yes there is – in the root of the installation directory there should be a folder called PreReq
Run the following command:
RCCT.exe svcEXDST “svcPassword1” “EXDST Service Account” “IIS://Localhost/W3SVC/AppPools” “ap_EXDSTAppPool” “IIS://Localhost/W3SVC/1/Root” “EXDSD” “” “Organization Management”

Cheers
A

Ricardo August 9, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Hi,
I have installed the Dashboard on one of our DAG nodes. When trying to access the Dashboard throught the automatically created shortcut on the Desktop I end up with a timeout. All pre-requisites are installed.
Any hint is appreciated.
thanks
R.

Mike August 19, 2013 at 3:31 am

Installed but I do not see an RCCT folder. Also, I am part of a large enterprise and not being able to tell the app what service account I want to use is not something I can work with. My company’s AD team mantains a strict naming standard and have desginated OUs for service accounts, plus I don’t have account create rights in our infrastructure, so it is necessary to create the account before installation at my corporation. I would like this taken into consideration in your next revision.

Andy August 19, 2013 at 5:17 am

Mike, you have downloaded the latest version (v1.02) by the sound of it and that does not need a service account as it uses one of the built in IIS identities and the RCCT tool has been removed as the installer should take care of the IIS config. This is all explained in the manual.All links to the tool from previous articles have been updated to version 1.02.If you want to change the service account you can as well.

Mike August 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Andy, I am a little confused because the msi I have is for the 1.01 version. I have not seen any documentation or download link for 1.02. I also want to mention that when I launch the application, my page times out. My environment consists of 2 10 node DAGs distributed across 2 sites with a 10GB link between them. Not sure if the app is having difficult enumerating that large of an environment, but I at least wanted to let you know.

Mike August 19, 2013 at 12:33 pm

One more thing! My environment also has 120 active DBs in each DAG with 4 copies. Have you tested this utility against an environment of this scale?

Andy August 19, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Mike,

Version 1.02 is located here: http://www.telnetport25.com/2013/08/exchange-2013-dag-status-dashboard-version-1-02/

The EXDSD has not been tested in an environment of that size – for two main reasons:

1. It’s hard for me to get that kind of scale in my own lab environment
2. Generally environments of that size make use of more commercial tools such as SCOM, Mailscape etc.

It is entirely possible that the app is timing out on some of the initial queries on when the dashboard loads – a comparative test may be opening up a Management Shell Prompt on the server where it is installed and typing:

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus -Server and seeing how long the result takes.

With that information we can look at adjusting the IIS timeout.

Cheers
A

Ambers January 29, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Windows Server 2012
Exchange 2013 CU3

Am I missing something, I have reinstalled a few times but I keep getting this:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
EXDST_2013.Default.Get_FSWData() +10292
EXDST_2013.Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +2944
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +70
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3177

Henry February 21, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Hello,
Any idea what to do?

Windows Server 2012 R2
Exchange 2013 CU 13

Server Error in ‘/EXDSD’ Application.

Request timed out.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.

Source Error:
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:
[HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out.]
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.6.1078.0