OOOCTA (Out of Office Configuration Assistant) – Version 4.1

by Andy Grogan on February 21, 2013 · 13 comments

in Exchange 2010 (Admin), Exchange 2010 (General), Exchange Programming .NET, OOOCTA, Out of Office, Powershell

Recently I released version 4.0 of the OOOCTA, which was a complete re-write of version 3.5 which some years ago (which is now no longer supported). I have had some really great feedback from readers of the site which I have decided to roll up into a .1 incremental release from version 4.0.

Specific enhancements in version 4.1 are:

• BUG FIX: Fixed problem with an Exception being thrown when either the Internal or External Message contains either a ‘ or "
  • New Feature: Added in the ability to configure the target audience for external replies (All, Contacts or None)
  • New Feature: Added in an operational status which reports the result of a configuration change.

I have also updated the installation and users guide to reflect the upgrade process from version 4.0 to 4.1 and the new functionality.

Version 4.0 is still available for download from the original article, however I will be retiring it in the next few weeks.

Pre-Requisites

The following are the pre-requisites for the OOOCTA version 4.1.

• Windows Server 2008 R2.
  • IIS 7.0.
  • .NET Framework 3.5 or above.
  • Exchange 2010 Service Pack 2 or above.
  • Exchange 2010 Management Tools installed on the primary OOOCTA server.
  • The OOOCTA Application Service Account will require Exchange Organization Management rights, you will also need the account that you use to install the software has these rights as well.

It is recommended that you install the OOOCTA on a Client Access Server within your environment. Whereas this is not essential to the operation of the tool – it makes the setup easier.

Download

You can download both the OOOCTA v 4.0 and the Installation and Users guide from the following locations.

cntMstr006 [ OOOCTA v 4.1 for Exchange 2010 – 196KB ]

adobe [ OOOCTA v 4.1 Installation and Users Guide – 1.1 MB ]

I hope that you enjoy OOOCTA 4.1, and of course value your feedback.

Social

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Jack February 22, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Hi Andy,

Do you have any plan to open source the code for the project?

Thanks,
Jack

Andy Grogan February 22, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Hiya Jack,

Not at the moment, but I am more than willing to share how some parts of the code work should people be interested.
If you have a specific query; more than happy to try to help.
Cheers
A

shawn February 22, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Another great tool! Keep up the great work Andy!

Andy Grogan February 22, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Thanks Shawn – glad that you like it.
Cheers
A

Mark Hermann February 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Thanks for this great tool, but unfortunately there still is no support for managing ooo-forwardings.
It would be very nice to see this feature in the future.

Andy Grogan February 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Hi Mark, Within the native functionality of the OOF there is no way to configure forwarding to an alternative recipient. That is why the functionality is not in the code of the OOOCTA as it is based upon the Set-MailboxAutoReply cmdlet.
I have also found (but need to test further that if the OOF is enabled on a mailbox and an alternative delivery recipient is set (even with deliver to local mailbox enabled) the OOF is not triggered (again, I still need to test that more). It might be possible for me to achieve by messing around with delegation setting – but I will need sometime to play with this.
All in all, happy to see if I can add it in – just might take me a while.

Clive February 5, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Hi Mark. Thanks for making this tool available to everyone. Would it be possible to add the scheduled times, when reporting on OoH status.
Thanks

Marie Pierce February 24, 2014 at 10:20 pm

What is your licensing and pricing structure for the product?

Mike August 20, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Hi Andy,
If I modyfiy the script \\PrepScripts\CreateOOOCTASVC_AD.ps1 and change OU and password for the service account, will it still work?
We have our own structure in AD and we do not keep service accounts in Users container.
Besides, does the service account need to be active?

Daniel September 9, 2014 at 6:00 am

Hi Andy

Does this work with exchange 2013?

Mike December 31, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Is there any plan to make this 2013 compatible? I used it with 2010 worked great but we have moved to 2013.

Andrew Burt March 18, 2015 at 11:28 pm

Hi Andy,

We’re receiving a runtime error when we hit “Save out of office settings”.
Is OOOCTA supported running under IIS7.5 on Server 2012?

Any assistance appreciated – awesome tools you have created!

Luke January 7, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Does this work with Exchange 2013?